Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Did you Survive?

Actually, yes, I did. I survived Xmas just fine.

And, I admit I got some neat gifts. The people in my life are good at gift-giving, despite my protests against the whole thing.

My mom tricked me this year. She e-mailed about a month ago and asked for my help picking out a portable GPS for my Dad. So, being the dutuful young Lex, I promptly went to work. I headed to Amazon, CNET, etc. I read reviews and poured over user comments by the dozens. I factored in how he might use such a device and what features were necessary (ease of use!). Also, those that weren't (playing MP3s on a portable GPS? Why?)

So, I narrowed it down to three different models: A Garmin, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom. Then, I fired off the links. I even made a point of calling her and sending them to her personal e-mail address (she usually just shares one with my Dad, but I figured he'd see the e-mail if I sent it there. I actually called her and made her check her Gmail account to ensure that she got it ok.) I then told her if she needed anything else to let me know, and quickly forgot about it. She never brought it up again, so I figured she picked one (they were all about the same), ordered it, and that was that.

Then, along about a week or two ago, she mentions to me that I should be looking out for presents for the kids, and from where they will be arriving (Amazon, Discovery Store, Gymboree, etc.) And, just before I hang up with her, she says, "Oh, and there's a present coming for you from" - get this - "Radio Shack" of all places.

Radio shack? WTF?

What could Radio Shack have that I would want or need?

Of course, the first thing that went through my mind was that it could be a remote control vehicle of some kind. That would be cool...my kids would like it, too.

So, finally, a small non-descript box arrives from Radio Shack about a week before Xmas. It's not heavy. It doesn't make any noise when I shake it. I have no idea now. It wasn't big enough for a remote control car...maybe if it was a mini-RC, but, wow, now I, the Great Lex, am stumped.

So, I do the only thing I really can do at this point.

I wait.

And wait.

So, finally, on Xmas eve, after all the kids open their stuff from my parents and other relatives (none of Santa's gift's, though, because they don't arrive until Xmas morning) I remember the box from Radio Shack. It's the last gift of the evening. I get a knofe, open the box, and guess what's inside?

Yep, a portable GPS. The TomTom Go 720. With a small carrying case.

I never saw it coming. She tricked me.

It looks pretty cool. I haven't used it yet, but I might bust it out and see how it works tomorrow. I don't know if it's something I'd need on a regular basis, but it could come in handy at times.

Good ol' Mom. Just when you think you've seen all everything in her bag o' tricks.

-la

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home